CHIEF MASTER SGT. BRIAN L. GARRETT
Chief Master Sergeant Brian L. Garrett is the 13th Utah State Command Chief Master Sergeant and is assigned to Headquarters, Utah Air National Guard, Roland R. Wright Air Base, Salt Lake City, Utah. He serves as the principal advisor to the Assistant Adjutant General for Air, Utah Air National Guard on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, and proper utilization and progress of the Utah Air National Guard’s 1,250 enlisted members. He represents the highest level of enlisted leadership for the Utah Air National Guard and represents the enlisted force and their interests at the state and national level.
Chief Master Sgt. Garrett entered active duty Air Force in July 1986 as an Armament Systems Technician. In 1989 he transferred to the Air Force Reserves where he served as an Aircraft Load Crew Chief, Wing Weapons Safety Manager, and First Sergeant. As a First Sergeant he served various assignments in operations and maintenance. In 2007 he retired with almost22 years of service and in 2016 he enlisted in the Utah Air National Guard. He has been assigned to bases in Colorado, California, Utah and Spain. Prior to assuming his current assignment, Chief Master Sgt. Garrett served as the Superintendent, 151st Mission Support Group, Roland R. Wright ANG Base, Utah.
In his civilian capacity he serves as the Director of Military Relations for a large regional bank and is a member of the Governor’s Veterans Advisory Committee, Utah State Legislature’s Veterans and Military Affairs Commission, Utah Defense Alliance, and Chairs the Salt Lake Military Affairs Committee. Prior to this position he served as the Deputy Director of Emergency Services and Homeland Security for the State of Utah.
1986 Aircraft Armament Systems Technician Technical School, Lowry AFB, Colo.
1990 Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Hill AFB, Utah
1992 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Hill AFB, Utah
1998 Associate of Applied Science, Aircraft Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force.
1999 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 USAF First Sergeant Academy, Robbins AFB, Ga.
2001 Associate of Applied Science, Human Resource Management/Personnel Administration, Community College of the Air Force.
1. July 1986 – September 1986, Student, Basic Military training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. September 1986 – December 1986, Student, Aircraft Armament Systems Course, Lowry, AFB Colo.
3. January 1986 – January 1989, Aircraft Armament Systems Technician, 401st Fighter Wing, Torrejon AB, Spain
4. January 1989 – July 1989, Aircraft Armament Systems Technician, 35th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, George AFB, Calif.
5. July 1989 – December 1995, Aircraft Load Crew Chief, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB Utah
6. December 1995 – December 1999, Wing Weapons Safety Manager, 419th Fighter Wing Hill AFB Utah
7. December 1999- April 2002, First Sergeant, 466th Fighter Squadron and 419th Operations Group Hill AFB, Utah
8. April 2002 – June 2003, First Sergeant, 419th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah.
9. June 2003 – July 2005, First Sergeant, 419th Maintenance Squadron and 419th Maintenance Group, Hill AFB, Utah
10. July 2005- September 2007, First Sergeant, 466th Fighter Squadron and 419th Operations Group Hill AFB, Utah
11. January 2016 – August 2016, Superintendent, 151st Mission Support Group, Rowland Wright Air Base, Utah
12. September 2016 –Present, State Command Chief, Utah Air National Guard, Rowland Wright Air Base, Utah
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Enlisted Association of the National Guard
Air Force Association
UTANG Chiefs Council
UTANG Top 3
Utah Veteran Owned Business Partnership, Chair 2016-Present
Utah Veterans and Military Employment Coalition
Utah Committee for Employer Support of Guard and Reserve, Executive Committee
Top of Utah Military Affairs Committee, Past Chair
Salt Lake Military Affairs Committee, Chair
International Association of Emergency Managers, Certified Emergency Manager
Disaster Recovery International, Certified Business Continuity Professional
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Senior Airman, Jan. 6,1989
Staff Sergeant, July 1, 1990
Technical Sergeant, Jan. 1,1993
Master Sergeant, March 1, 1996
Senior Master Sergeant, March 1, 2000
Chief Master Sergeant, Aug. 1, 2016